Friday, July 1, 2011

What to do with some decorative rocks...

Sometimes when I am browsing around my favorite stores (Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, Goodwill, Ross, etc.) I buy random things that I know will come in handy at some point in time. Or sometimes I come up with fun craft projects right there in the store. Either way, I have a pretty large collection of random thing-a-ma-jiggies that at some point I know will come in handy. I have had these four bags of decorative rocks for quite some time and I could never think of anything to do with them. Problem solved!

One of my many ocds is when shoes, socks, clothes in general are laying on the ground. It drives me nuts! Ask Steven :) Clothes belong either in the closet, in the dresser, in the hamper, or in the washer and shoes belong in the "shoe closet." However, I had a little dilemna. Sometimes, like when I am running in the house really quickly to grab something and then go right back out, I like to leave my shoes by the door. I also like having a pair of shoes by the door most of the time anyways so I can slip them on quickly when I need to take the dog out, trash out, etc. It is much more convenient and I usually don't like wearing shoes inside the house. Sooooo I came to thinking---how cool would it be to make something I can put by the door to put my shoes on. 

Of course they make shoe trays you can buy at the DT but how ugly and boring are those?!! So I decided to make my own unique version of a shoe tray out of decorative rocks I had on hand from the Dollar Tree.

Here is how it is done:


Find some cardboard (I had an empty box still lying around from my move) and some spray paint (whatever color will blend in well with the rocks, I had this one on hand). Spray paint the cardboard and let dry.




Then gather your decorative rocks, which can be found at most dollar stores or craft stores.



(note: the cute dog in the back, my craft buddy)
Start placing your rocks how you want them. I would have preferred to use all larger rocks like these above, but I didn't have enough. And because I like to make use of what I have and always find a way, I decided to line the larger rocks along the outside.



Get out your hot glue gun and start gluing...

And gluing...

 And gluing...

And gluing...

And you will have this.




Continue with the rest of your rocks. Be patient, I know it is a lot of gluing!






Now isn't that SOOOO MUCH BETTER! Now I have a place by the door to put my shoes...I think I might have to make one for the side and back doors as well! :)

Love,
Michelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com